Friday, April 22, 2011

Give Every Night New Flavor: Grilled Cheese & Pear/Apple Slices Sandwiches

Did you know that April is National Grilled Cheese Month?

To anyone that knows me - they know that Grilled Cheese Sandwiches are my absolute favorite.  On numerous occasions I have added Ham or Turkey to our Grilled Cheese's to add extra protein & to make them more filling.  I have never considered adding any type of fruit to them, though, until I came across the recipe for Grilled Cheese & Pear/Apple Slices on the Give Every Night New Flavor website.

What is great about the Give Every Night New Flavor website is that you select the store that you will shop, for me it's Kroger.  Then you choose the type of cuisine you are in the mood for, how much time you have for meal prep & then how many servings you need to make and it generates a handful of great recipes geared towards your selections for you to choose from.  You can then add ecoupons for your store and print the shopping list & recipe out.


I came across this great twist on my favorite standby.  The number of ingredients & prep time suited my Thursday evening meal just fine - since as the week progresses, the more I am looking for quick & easy meal time solutions.


I gathered all our ingredients.  I made a few substitutions.  As I mentioned - we are Grilled Cheese connoisseurs here, so we are pretty set in our ways on a few ingredients.  The only items I needed to grab from the store were a fresh apple & pear.  I substituted the bread we already had on our counter in; instead of spraying the bread with Pam, I sprayed the pan and used a butter spread on the bread; last, we often use shredded cheese when we have additions to our grilled cheese sandwiches (such as turkey & ham) as we feel that it offers better coverage.  We also favor a Colby Jack over Cheddar, when it comes to cheese. 


The basics such as preparing the pan, coring the fruit & buttering the bread have all been done - now it's time to cook!


I decided to make my husband's sandwich with just pears, since apples tend to give him heart burn.  I then made my sandwich with both pears & apples.



The look on my husband's face when I told him that his grilled cheese had pears in it, was priceless. However, he ended up really liking his sandwich and said that it was surprisingly good and something that he would certainly eat again.  I am happy that I put both pears & apples on my sandwich.  It was a great way to try both and really good, as well.

Making grilled cheese sandwiches with a twist got me to thinking - you can do so much with grilled cheese sandwiches.  You can put turkey, chicken, ham, roast beef or bacon on them.  You can also add broccoli!  How do you like your grilled cheese sandwiches?

This was a lot of fun & a great way to put a new twist & add new flavor to a week night meal!

Be sure to check out Give Every Night New Flavor to find some great new recipe's for you & your family!

Disclosure: This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias.  The photos & opinions are solely mine.

1 comment:

Sara @ Super Saving Sense said...

I loved making this recipe too, I can't believe I never thought of this before! I like the way you shared your recipe through all your photos, looks great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails