Friday, December 3, 2010

Challenge: How Much Food Could You Buy For Just $10?

Challenge:  How Much Food Could You Buy For Just $10?

We #RVA Savvy Bloggers are back at it again! Our School Supplies Challenge lit the fire in all of us to continue to try & find ways to give back with our knack for savings!  For the past month - myself & 4 other local Richmond Frugal Bloggers;  Alison from Richmond Bargains, Stephanie from Coupon Clippin' Mommy, Tiffany from Young & Frugal in Virginia  and Kim from Day by Day Savings have been scouring the Fall Holiday Sales in order to try & get as much non-perishable food for just $10 (w/out tax)!  All of our bounty will be donated to the Central Virgina Food Bank to help those in need.

So without further ado - here is what I personally & we collaboratively accomplished!

I purchased a grand total of $104.61 worth of non-perishable food for just $10.17 spent out of pocket!  This was a savings of 90.28% for 63 items!

I am pretty proud of myself as I stretched my $10 so much further than I had originally anticipated!  Out of the savings, $43.73 was from using coupons & the remaining $50.71 came from store discounts & sales!  The majority of my items came from Kroger with a quick stop to Target & CVS thrown in.

Here is what I was able to purchase for $10.17!
10 Cans- Campbells Cream of Mushroom & Cream of Chicken Soups
4 - Campbell's Select Harvest Microwaveable Soups
10 Cans - Carnation Evaporated Milk
9 Can - Hormel Chilli

4 Boxes - Ronzoni Healthy Harvest Spaghetti Pasta
2 Boxes - Ronzoni Smart Taste Thin Spaghetti Pasta
2 Boxes - Ronzoni Smart Taste Penne Pasta
1 Box - Barilla Spaghetti Pasta
2 Boxes - Barilla Plus Angel Hair Spaghetti Pasta
2 Boxes - Sam Giorgio Spaghetti Pasta
= Total of 13 Boxes of Pasta

2 Packages - Idaho Baby Red Instant Potatoes
1 Package - Betty Crocker Cheddar & Sour Cream Instant Potatoes
1 Box - Idaho Instant Potatoes
4 Boxes - Betty Crocker Instant Potatoes
= Total of 8 Packages/Boxes of Instant Potatoes

2 Boxes - Krusteaz Muffins
2 Boxes - Stove Top Stuffing
2 Jars - Ragu Pasta Sauce
1 Jar - Skippy Peanut Butter
2 Packages - Yakisoba Noodles


I would be remiss if I didn't add a photo of my little 'helper' during my photo session:

We did such a great job!  Between the five of us we collected $377.78 worth of non-perishable food for just $48.16 out of pocket, which is an average savings of  87.25%!  High fives go out to Kim who won our challenge by purchasing $115.75 worth of food for exactly $10 out of pocket!  Alison purchased $85.47 worth of food for $10.03 out of pocket.  Stephanie purchased $41.92 worth of food for $9.96 out of pocket and Tiffany purchased $30.03 worth of food for just $8! 


Here is a picture of all the food we purchased - $377.78 for just $48.16!  All of the food is being donated to the Central Virginia Food Bank.  Alison was kind enough to drop it off for us & at the scales we had donated 205lbs of food!  If you are looking to donate this Holiday Season - please consider the Food Bank.  They are in urgent need of: Canned Chicken & Ham, Canned Tuna & Salmon, Peanut Butter, Canned Vegetables & Fruits, Spaghetti Sauce, Hot & Cold Cereals, Pasta & Rice.

So, I ask you again - How Much Food Could You Buy For Just $10?!

Related posts in the #RVA Savvy Blogger Saving Adventures:

How Many School Supplies Could You Buy For Just $10?

4 comments:

Mrs DeSimone said...

I bought a lot at Fry's (Kroger family store) and it only cost me about $2 for over $200 of groceries! During the same sale (Mega) I got a lot more for about $5 but forgot a picture :(

Here's a picture of my first run:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54667529@N05/5145178182/

It all went to my parents who are facing serious financial difficulties right now. With the newest Mega, I have lots of things planned so I can hopefully stock them up again :)

Young and Frugal in Virginia! said...

You daughter it too cute in that pose!

Yea for us!

Praznow said...

I love to see posts like this. This week I bought 60 boxes of cookie mix, 120 cans of carnation milk, 75 suave deodorants from kroger and 12 Krusteaz pancake mix from Walmart. All to go to charity. You still have time for the pancake mix till the 12/12 the coupon came with the RTD on 11/14 in the kroger single page flyer coupon for $1.50/1.

Check out my post here http://dreamofsavings.blogspot.com/2010/12/update-krusteaz-pancake-mix.html

Praznow said...

thanks for following me back. I already follow you LOL.

Related Posts with Thumbnails